Saturday, July 7, 2012

Cameroon 7/7/12

I can't even tell you how amazing today was! Breakfast = homemade African banana nut bread and scrambled eggs.

Our morning routine included the long, bumpy bus ride to Bamenda and canvassing for today's teen rally. Recruitment was CRAZY! We handed out tons of flyers, tracts, and plastic beads. Got mobbed a few times by grown men and women wanting the beads. While recruiting, we talked with a lady who we very quickly realized was a Jehovah's witness. Got into some real theological conversation. I felt confident in my theology, but I became very ashamed of myself for not knowing the references for the verses I was quoting. The woman definitely had the upper hand. This incident has definitely encouraged me to study different religions of the world and how to witness to people from each.




Lunch = authentic African JOLLOF RICE!!! Yeah, baby! This is what I was waiting for! It was the bomb diggity!!!

After lunch we headed to the site for HBS and finished decorating. At 4:00 the youth rally started. A few trickled in at the beginning, then more an more began to show up. After awhile, the team headed to a field about a five minute walk away from the church. I had actually stayed behind at the church to help with registration, but ten decided to go help with the games. Unfortunately all the men had left, and you just don't walk through Cameroon by yourself. However two ladies, Mourine and her sister Sylvia, showed up for the rally and wanted to go play the games, so I decided to accompany them. I thought that thy knew where they were going, but I was sadly mistaken. We had started by following their brother, but he went ahead without waiting. So there I was walking through random alleys in Cameroon, Africa, with two very talkative women. I'm not going to lie -- I was not the least bit worried. I was having a blast talking to them about their country and their lives. It felt like I was walking down the street with 2 good friends. Eventually Mourine stopped to ask for directions, and we got there very quickly. Instead of playing games, Mourine and I talked nonstop! I found out so much about her and her family -- her dreams, her hurts, and her spiritual steadfastness which amazed me. She has been through so much, and God has pulled her through it all.

The singing and preaching was amazing! I believe close to 10 people received Jesus, including Sylvia, who I was personally able to lead to Christ.

God was so so good today, as He is always. There is so much need here, folks. So much need, and so few willing to fill the needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment