Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Lesson Learned

Yesterday God encouraged me so much through a man named Justice. Justice received Christ a few days ago at the youth rally in Bamenda. He is attending a local university and is not a permanent resident of the village. Justice is an incredibly cordial individual, and our team has simply fallen in love with him. We were so thrilled to have him become our brother in Christ.

Honestly though, I never expected to see Justice again while I was here, but he proved e wrong. Justice showed up at HBS yesterday, ready and willing to serve. He jumped in to help wherever he was needed, and in so doing was a huge blessing to so many. I was thrilled to see so great a change in someone in such a short amount of time. That is the work of the Spirit and He alone.

This instance touched my heart in more ways than one. It also left me feeling guilty of my own shortcomings, and it left me realizing what service really means in America. Service in America is sometimes elevated to a god in and of itself -- a goal that many Christians supposedly set for themselves but never attain. Service! Service! A living sacrifice! We hear it preached from the pulpit every week, yet we never act on this important message. I realize now that if we are truly surrendered to Christ, a willingness to serve follows NATURALLY! In light of what Christ did for us, sacrificing of ourselves is our REASONABLE service.

There is a man here named Cleopas who has probably spent a week's worth of wages to come help with HBS and the teen rallies. I am floored by the willingness of these people, and am ashamed of myself for my lack thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment