Thursday, July 5, 2012

Trip Update 7/4/12

"Lean left!" someone screams. All 20 of us crawl to the other side of the precariously leaning bus. The vehicle slides further down the steep hill then stops abruptly when it hits a large hole.
Well, this looks like a good time to get out.
We all climb out of the bus into a chilly, drizzly evening. The men crawl on top of the bus and begin handing down our 60+ pieces of luggage. We carry a good number of the suitcases about a quarter mile down the muddy, African road. Once free of a considerable amount of weight, the bus makes it the rest of the way to the Sinclairs' home in Bambili.
This is just one of Africa's many ways of welcoming us, and the team took it in perfect stride.


For all you concerned mothers out there, we are all fine! No one was harmed in the least (except for maybe Sarah who took a tumble down a slick part of the hill).

I'll catch you all up on the trip so far...
(the following are journal entries.)

7-2-12
Day 1 of Cameroon trip -- not going so well. I am currently sitting in a plane in Tampa waiting to take off. Our flight has been delayed due to BRAKE TROUBLE!!! Aaaaaahh!..

I have a feeling this is going to be a fun trip. My teammates are hilarious, and I am so excited to get to know them!..

I am sitting by a lady from GHANA! Her name is Mina. I was so excited to meet an African that I started peppering her with questions. I asked her I she knew where she would spend eternity, and she gave a clear testimony of salvation. It is so amazing to have brothers and sisters all over the world!

This isn't a journal entry, but I thought it was too near to pass by. The second leg of our trip (from Washington to Belgium) I was supposed to have an isle seat, but when I arrived at my seat, a man was sitting in it. I almost asked him to move to his own seat (the middle one was empty), but the Spirit seemed to lead me to do otherwise. I took the middle seat. The man, Jean Claude, turned out to be from Cameroon, and was an incredibly sweet person. He too had a clear testimony of salvation. The girl on the other side of me (Tiffany) was a 19-year-old Belgian who had just spent 5 months in Hawaii learning English. She had no idea where she would spend eternity. I gave her (as best I could) the Romans road. I could tell she was having a difficult time understanding it, but I also saw a great curiosity in her. I left her with a tract that explained how to get to heaven in very simple terms. She told me she understood after she read the tract. The seed has been planted. Someone else must sow. Please pray that Tiffany will realize her need of salvation and that she will accept Christ before it is too late! Now isn't God amazing? He put me in an undesirable place in order for His gospel to be spread!

Cameroon is turning out to be much different from Ghana landscape-wise. I have seen some of the most beautiful scenery I could ever imagine! Huge jungle-covered mountains, rushing rivers, and gargantuan waterfalls plummeting into vast lakes -- I wish my pictures could do it justice! But these beautiful scenes are scarred by thousands of dilapidated shacks where millions of the sweetest people must sleep every night. My heart breaks for them.

I tried my hand at trading today -- it didn't go so well... The people here in Cameroon try to sell things to you when your car stops or slows down. I wanted to get some sort of nut they were selling, but I didn't have any money. Instead, I decided to try to trade a rice krispy treat for a few. The results aren't exactly what I expected. The boy took my treat, and all I got was a single nut... and the wrapper back from the treat.

This trip has been amazing so far! God has been so faithful to get us here, and He has allowed us to share His gospel with so many already! Keep praying as we continue the Lord's work here in Cameroon.

No comments:

Post a Comment