Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cameroon 6/4/14

It's hard to forget the sights of Cameroon -- the mountains, the fruit trees swaying in the breeze, the red clay. But I did not realize until I awoke this morning that I had forgotten the sounds. Two stories below me somewhere were children playing, birds chirping, roosters crowing, and palm trees whispering in the wind. I closed my eyes again and smiled. I surely did miss this place.

Since I am tired, I will list everything that has happened today:
1. Bathed from a bucket of cool water (which felt amazing considering we have no air conditioning in this 80-or-so-degree weather.)
2. Ate a Nutri-Grain bar for breakfast.
3. Like a Hobbit, I ate second breakfast: omelet, fresh mango, pineapple, and banana, and bread with homemade tropical fruit jelly.
4. Attended the school's kindergarten graduation from 1:00-3:30.
5. Was invited by the chief to eat soye (beef and onions on a stick with LOTS of pepper spice) and drink soda with him.
6. Heated up some curried beef and rice made by the amazing Mrs. Chamberlin.
7. Took a nap after dinner (jet lag has hit us hard).
8. Got up at 8:00 p.m. and made Dad and me some instant coffee on a gas stove with a kettle. Currently sitting on the couch enjoying each other's company while we sip our coffee and nibble at his Belgian chocolate.

People we have met today and yesterday:
1. Peter: works with the Chamberlins
2. Elme: our CRAZY driver last night who drove us from the airport to Limbe.
3. Laticia: my favorite little orphan girl so far
4. Stephen: works with the Chamberlins; also a prince in a nearby village.
5. Elizabeth: preschool teacher
6. Marcel: the principal of the school
7. Pa Chief: the caretaker of the mission
8. David and Nathan: the two newest orphans (one a baby and the other only 1 and 1/2 years old).

No comments:

Post a Comment