Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Cameroon: June 9, 2014

Started my day making eggs and toast for breakfast. The rest of my morning consisted of helping Mrs. Chamberlin with some computerissues and getting VBS flyers ready to send out -- oh, and babysitting one of the newest orphans, David, while the "house mom" (the woman who takes care of the orphanage) comforted Nathaniel, David's baby brother (Nathaniel has terrible colic right now.) One of my favorite parts of the morning was getting to talk with some of the orphan girls after we finished making the fliers. We discussed everything from Cameroonian history to how to draw a pig. They even quizzed me in every subject they are taking to see if I was learning the same things they are.

After a lunch prepared by our lovely cook, Mary, four of the orphans and I went canvasing all over Limbe. That was quite an experience! We walked through the streets for 3 hours and still did not finish distributing all of our fliers. As a reward for our work, Cynthia treated us all to a local favorite -- roasted corn!

Last week, I had promised Cynthia that I would teach her to play guitar, so this afternoon, I started fulfilling that promise. With practice, I'm sure she will pick it up quickly.

We had a church prayer meeting tonight. I loved the way it was conducted. Individual prayer requests were given; then the whole congregation prayed out loud individually after each request. I felt such power and focus present in the room.

As soon as the prayer meeting was over, I visited the kids in the orphanage. The boys reminded me promptly that I had told them that I would read them a bedtime story. One of them ran into the tiny room with The Lion King. They huddled together on the floor and looked at me with so much excitement. I only read them half the book (I get to finish it tomorrow!!!), and they hung on every word. What better way to end the day than by getting countless hugs and nuzzles from 30 precious children?

Actually, my day ended with a refreshing (cold) shower after sweating all day and with a good time of Bible study with my dad.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you mentioned shower! I was beginning to think my baths would be in a bucket! God bless you today and keep you safe and healthy. What a blessing you are being to the children and to Victor and Claudine. I praise God that you answered the call to GO!

    ReplyDelete