Saturday, June 21, 2014

Cameroon: June 18-19, 2014

It's been a few days since I've written, I know. On the 18th, we left early in the morning for Kotto. All I packed was a change of clothes, some bug spray, my toothbrush and toothpaste, my camera, my Bible, my umbrella, and my Joseph flashcards series. Space was so limited in the vehicle (a 9-seater 4-wheel drive which we packed with 13 people and LOTS of supplies) that I only brought with me what was necessary (journal excluded.)

We actually ended up getting a very late start because it had rained that morning, and the steep hill in front of the mission compound was too slick to drive down with all those people and all that luggage. The kids and I trekked down the hill (Cynthia and Emillienne held my hands to steady me the whole way down) and began praying together as the vehicle made its way slowly down, sliding in several places.

The road to Kotto is inexplicably long and bumpy, and it didn't help that the sleeping child Mrs. Chamberlin was holding wet herself -- and Mrs. C -- and me!!! Needless to say, my only change of clothes was donned immediately upon our arrival at Kotto.

I really didn't know what to expect when we arrived -- scratch that. I had really expected there to be a working toilet, a gas stove, and a pole shelter for us to host the VBS in; sadly, none of those expectations were met. It had even started raining. I was starting to lose faith that this is really what God wanted us to do that day -- either that, or the devil was REALLY trying to keep something good from happening. The latter was definitely the case. God had a special plan. Some of the men set up makeshift benches beneath the roof of the Chamberlins' new house, and Liberman went into the village to tell the children to come. After a meager lunch of a piece of bread and a banana, the Chamberlins, the kids, Aunt Paula, and I went out to greet the children who were beginning to trickle in. About 50 showed up. We sang songs at the beginning. They seemed really timid until I taught them the song "I'm In, Right Out, Right Up, Right Down." To my surprise, Mrs. Chamberlin leaned over to me and whispered, "I think that since there are so few children, and that this is the only adequate shelter, you should teach the Joseph story. She retreated back into the small (partially finished) house to rest (It's about time!) She has typhoid, and I have been begging her to rest for weeks!

The children were so engrossed in the Joseph story that I hated to stop, but at the end of the story, when Joseph forgave his brothers, the Spirit led me to talk about how Jesus forgave us despite all the wicked things we do. It was the perfect invitation opportunity. Seven young men (12-14 years old probably) raised their hands wanting to accept Christ, and my Aunt Paula got to talk to them about salvation and lead them in the sinner's prayer. After I started the other children on a coloring page, I talked with the boys about living a righteous life and forming a relationship with their Savior. We gave them New Testaments the next day. Praise God He used us despite my lack of faith!

Supper was a Slim Jim, some old cheese, a slice of bread, and some pineapple and papaya. When the sun went down, we went down, too, nestling into our "beds" by candlelight. The kids slept at the chief's house, Dad Chamberlin slept in the vehicle, and the other men slept outside beneath the roof of the newer house where we held VBS. In the little house, Aunt Paula got the bed, I got a torn army cot, and Mrs. C got a recliner.

The night was very long. Mrs. C coughed the whole night with her typhoid. I got up once to help her find something, and whenever I woke up to her coughing, I prayed for her. Often I heard her muttering prayers and whispering hymns in the darkness. It was a rough night; I was glad to see the sun again.

No gas stove means no hot water. No hot water means no coffee. No coffee means a very disgruntled auntie and niece. I got Stephen to build a little fire for me to heat water over in a skillet, and everyone seemed to perk up nicely when the steaming life-juice kissed our weary lips.

VBS started at 9:00. Mom Chamberlin stayed inside again while I conducted the whole thing -- songs, story of Daniel, coloring, and tug-of-war. *Frances Eller, the kids loved the candy and prizes you sent -- especially the helicopters. You should have seen their eyes when I showed them how they work!*

I was finished by 11:00, and we were packed and back in Limbe by mid-afternoon. Not bad! We were so tired by the time we got back that we almost forgot about Bible study that night! The people rejoiced when they heard about the Lord's work in Kotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment