Saturday, June 21, 2014

Cameroon: June 20, 2014

Today was spent helping Mrs. C with the website and preparing things for the girls lock-in which began this evening and will last until Sunday afternoon.

Some of the kids have brought me letters and gifts. One of the cards had holes in the thin paper. The girl had indicated that that was where she had been crying as she wrote it. I can hardly bear to leave my little "pikins" (children) on Sunday.

After the lock-in girls ate their dinner, Elizabeth asked me if I would share a story with them. I wracked my brain trying to think of something, when the story "Stay in the Castle" popped into my head. It is a story about waiting for the right man and not settling for someone God did not intend for them to have. I recounted it from memory as best as I could. The girls were so intently listening. At the sad parts, their eyes grew sullen as they furrowed their brows. At the end of the story, I encouraged them to look at themselves as children of the King of Kings and to realize that He has a perfect mate for them. All they need to do is grow close to God and practice patience and discretion. Then I taught them the song "Sanctuary," which they picked up very quickly. When I left, one of the African ladies had them sing "Sanctuary" one more time. I could hear their sweet voices echo through the night air as I walked back to the house. What a way to end a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment