Monday, June 9, 2014

Cameroon: 6/7/14

"Yes! I got a tan!" was my thought as I inspected my bare feet before my bucket bath this evening. Then, as I scrubbed them, my excitement vanished as I realized that my "tan" was just a layer of mud.

Today has been so much fun. Mostly, I have helped Mrs. Chamberlin in the kitchen and  helped her with some computer stuff, but this afternoon, I played some outdoor games with the orphans. One of the games (Slippers) is played by 3 people at a time. All the children remove their shoes and put their left shoe in one pile and their right shoe in another. One child stands in the middle of the other two players and dodges as they throw a ball (ours was a ball of socks). The point of the game is for the middle child to match the shoes with their pairs and place them in a line all while dodging the ball. If the middle person catches the ball, he is allowed to throw it as far as he can away from the other players. I was only able to get one pair of shoes reunited before I was pegged. You have to be really quick on your feet.

P.S. I walked with some of the orphans to a house nearby to fetch a nurse for Mrs. Chamberlin. When we got their, she was cooking fish, and she offered me one. (By offered, I mean she forced it into my hands.) I ate everything but the bones and tail. That's right! Everything -- even the head (eyeballs included). The locals eat the bones. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment