Sunday, June 29, 2014

Uganda: June 29, 2014

I think the reason I have been behind in entries is that in Cameroon, I had some time in the evenings to write. Here in Uganda, however, my evenings are full. We usually have a late dinner, and the orphanage devotions are at 8:00. We usually stay behind several minutes to chat with the girls. Needless to say, by the time I get back to my room, I just want to crash.

So here's a short update of the last 3 days. Friday was a day of relaxation. We took a tour boat up the Nile and saw so many hippos, crocodiles, elephants, and many other animals. After a last awesome meal at the Paraa Lodge, we headed back toward Soroti--only after spending about an hour in a town getting a "new" spare tire. I am glad I went on that safari. I have just been going, going, going without a break, and I didn't realize how much I needed one until I got it.

Saturday was awesome. The plan was to go soul winning with Sarah, Mr. Pittman, and a few other church members in a village way out in the bush. One of Mr. Pittman's newer church members (only a Christian for 2 and a half years) has started a little church of his own in his village. He has had a bit of opposition from the local witch doctor and his followers, but in spite of that, the church has grown. I say that the plan was to have  a good, long visit in this village. Plans don't always work in Africa. As we were driving down an extremely narrow, bumpy path surrounded by bushes, corn fields, and rocks, we blew a tire. While the locals worked for hours to get it changed, we got to experience an uplifting song service in their new church building (mud walls and grass roof!) It was thrilling to see the joy in these new Christians as they sang for us. Sarah and I sang some English songs for them in return.

We got back to Soroti around 2:00 and ate a quick lunch before we headed to the orphanage for Saturday game time. I showed them how to play several team games. Their favorite was  "Tube Tug," but since we don't have tubes, we played "Tire Tug."

Today I got up early to go with Miss Pamela to a village called Serere to teach a Sunday school. You see, this ministry is not only in one church in one town. They are spreading to many villages around Soroti. Mr. Pittman preaches in Serere on Sunday morning, then goes back to Soroti to preach in the Soroti church. My Sunday school lesson went very well. I talked to them about sin and salvation. We did not even have a building to use, so we set up under a porch of a community building. I returned at 10:00 to Soroti so that I could sing a special with Sarah in the Soroti church.

Agenda for the afternoon? #1 Lunch. #2 Nap.

Evening service was great. Pastor preached about going to God instead of to other things when we need something. Kerri, Sarah, and I sang a special.

Tomorrow I start tutoring and teaching! Woop woop!

No comments:

Post a Comment